|Advice needed BADLY
||[Dec. 13th, 2006|06:18 pm]
I have a very important question for you all. Any advice would be extremely appreciated because I'm literally torn between two major, major choices about my future.
I'm seriously considering becoming a Biology Teacher Certification major. The more I think about it the more it makes sense, because it will guarantee me a good job teaching Biology (as I've always wanted to do), and it could open the door later for me to become a professor. There is also a huuuge demand for science and math teachers and Kean's offering a full scholarship to those wishing to do it. Kean's also the best education school in the state and so since I'm already going to school here, why shouldn't I?
It's starting to sound like a really attractive idea. So now I must decide between these two options:
1) Changing my major from General Biology to Biology Teaching Cert.
All the courses I've completed for General Bio are also needed in that program, so it would be easy to transfer them. There are also a lot more night classes offered which would allow me to work more. I'd also have that scholarship. However, doing this would mean that I'd graduate with no other option than to teach. That kinda makes me nervous.
2)Doing a double major in General Bio AND Bio Teaching Cert.
The two majors only have 15 classes different from each other. The first two years' requirements are identical. That's really not bad in the long run. However, it would take two more years to graduate with this double major. I'd be more qualified, have more options, and it would be worth it (especially with a scholarship) but that's sure a long time. Though, I may add, I'd probably graduate around the same time as Ari.
See why I'm torn? Please tell me what you would do in such a situation and you'll forever hold my gratitude.
If you can still become a teacher from the second choice, I'd say that one. That way you'd have more options
I'd chose the double major in General Bio + Bio Teaching Cert if I were you. Theres no doubt you could do it and while it would take longer, nothing in this world worth it comes easily eh? : ) And you'll definetly have more options, which is always a plus. Not to mention graduating around the same time as Ari would probably come in very handy for you, I'm talking in terms of housing and financialy?
Just my little input anyway :) Whatever you decide I'm sure will be the best for you.
Take the single. If you really want to teach, the Gen. major will honestly just be extra baggage in the end, and won't get you anything above and beyond what your teaching cert will.
Some people thrive on double majors. Most people hate them and regret it. Sure, it's nice and shiny when it's done, but be prepared to have no life while doing so.
It's not like you can't go back later and get your gen bio if you really want it.
I would go with the double major, because it would make me feel secure. And I tend to live by one of my mom's tenets: "Don't eliminate any options".
I'm going to bed tonight, so I'm not really reading all of your journal. But we need more good teachers in this world.... So I hope you do pursue that, and yes, I have lots of advice, that I'll pour out soon. You can determine which you want to keep.
If you are comfortable with a heavy workload and *enjoy* school, the double major might be a good option.
Also, the teaching cert has enough biology to it that you might still have other options - like the Park Service (US or State) because they often don't get enough applicants with *any* bio qualifications (esp. at the state levels).
The nice thing about teaching is that you could always take the extra courses later while working since you'd get summers off, if your area offered that level of summer course.
I think the 2nd one sounds better...I don't know, just gives you more options and you seem to like school so there's no harm in going for longer...besides you'll get to graduate the same time as Ari lol I know I'm still young and all but I wanna be a psychologist and Gregg wants to be a doctor so if we end up doing those things we'll probably graduate the same year even though he's 2 years older than me about...*shrugs* just seems to work...but I think you should do whatever's in your heart and no matter what you're gunna be awesome at your job!
If you really want to teach, keep your Biology major and go alternate route. Many districts will pay for part of what it costs to get you the remainder. In this state, they try to get you to get a Masters in education. It's a waste to do education in undergraduate because they'll want you to get it at graduate level.
2006-12-15 09:11 pm (UTC)
Three scenarios for your future
If you graduate with a single major in general bio and want a biology-related job, you will be competing with people who have masters and PhDs in biology, meaning you are unlikely to get a biology-related job. Your earning power will then be less and you will have to use it to pay off your humongous school loans as well as tuition for graduate school because I'm not sure the free tuition for math and science education majors is gratis at the graduate level. Then you will have to study for the PRAXIS II exam which you will need whether you go alternate route or to grad school, and grad school will also require studying for the GREs for admission, all before you get to teach.
If you graduate with a single major in bio ed you will be GUARANTEED a job with a decent salary for nine months of work a year and great benefits and only pay back the loans for the amount you now owe at the time I am writing this. You could then take summer, night and/or weekend courses to get the gen. bio BA, but it probably wouldn't be worth it because you could go directly to grad school summers, nights and/or weekends to get a masters in biology, all the while having a decent job that may most likely help finance your graduate schooling.
If you graduate with a double major you will be GUARANTEED a job with a decent salary for nine months of work a year and great benefits and only pay back the loans for the amount you now owe at the time I am writing this. By then you would know if it was worth it to have put in the extra time for the gen bio major. Or you could save yourself the trouble of having to employ hindsight and just talk to someone now in the math and science teaching program and ask them if it would be worth the extra time to get a gen bio BA (and also if the gratis deal is good for grad school). You'd be going to grad school at Kean, so it's not like you would be abandoning your goofy boyfriend.
Anyone who gets as excited as you do talking about creepy, slimy and microscopic things ought to be sharing that enthusiasm with students. Every school needs a nerd on its staff.
And that's what I think.
I do not know anything about either subject, so I cannot really comment on any choice or reasons that directly relate to you. However, speaking as someone who feels he has no choices in anything, I can say that the latter of the two options you have listed seems more appealing to me simply because you say you will have more options when you get it all done. Okay, now I am confused. If you can get a full scholarship to do the double major in general bio and bio teaching, then my advice would be to go for it. *nods*